Hey everyone,
Right - it's 8:25 pm and I've just had an AMAZING day! The last 2 weeks have been pretty mad and I've not actually been home since last Tuesday... First of all we had 'call back' in Tamale for 3 days - basically more in country training and a great opportunity to catch up with friends I made in my first week here as well as exploring a new city! Good fun by my goodness, seriously we should NEVER EVER complain about public transport in the UK; you should have seen the state of various taxi/tros (shared minibuses) that we travelled down in - air conditioning - what pray is that?! Maybe I exaggerate a little, but after waiting an hour an a half for the tro to fill and then being squished into a rather tight spot, literally sweating so much it looks like you've had an accident and then a guinea fowl clucking somewhere else in the vehicle for good measure - it all made for an interesting journey!
Tamale was an interesting place to visit - not so much because there's anything particularly exciting to see but at the moment Ghana is in the run up to its elections (7th of December - yes a Sunday?!) and Tamale's a bit of a hot spot currently and we managed to visit during a presidential debate and the atmopshere was great; a bit mad but kind of carnival like. It also sells exciting things like my favourite deodarant at home! Could have spent a lot of money, but managed to restrain myself. (Although there may have been some mars bar consumption!) We also tried to go to a swimming pool (severe shortage of such things in the North) however we managed to arrive on the day it was closed for cleaning... Boo and hiss!
Then last Friday we came back up north and have been staying in Bolgatanga (about 30km from Navrongo) and have been doing motorcycle training. All is going well and I've not fallen off. Yet! Was certainly trying to a couple of times today on the dust roads today but just about managed to keep it together! I've been really good as well - I've been wearing the full kit (all the Ghanaians are in shock as to how much protection I've got!) helmet, boots, jacket, gloves... photos to follow next time I get to the internet. My bike is a bit of a monster - only a 1.25 litre engine, but it's a dirt bike type thing and it's great on the dust roads! Tomorrow is our last day of training but I'm not sure when I'll actually have the bike as I've got to test the Ghanaian DVLA test - however depending on the mood of the examinar that may mean anything from a practical and a theory test, just the theory or simply signing a piece of paper! We'll see - can't wait though! Anyway, back to training - it's been fab because basically we've been riding round the Upper East going to all the tourist spots - Tongo Hills - beautiful rocky landscape (and hills!), Sirigu where there's a bit of brilliant eco-tourism with local women creating and selling traditional arts and crafts - going there with my Mum and Di when they visit in 10 DAYS (not that I'm excited at all!) and we're going to learn to weave baskets and paint pottery and stay in the gorgeous accommodation (Mum & Di - it's absolutely lovely - really beautiful!) Then we went to Paga today where I not only saw but actually held a CROCODILE'S TAIL!!! And yes - it was attached to a real live crocodile! Again - photos will follow! They're tame crocodiles and there's a whole traditional story that goes with them, but I guess you'll just have to come and visit to find it out! (Either that or google it!)
So, all in all - a great couple of weeks. We head back to Navrongo on Thursday, then it's a normal week - I'm actually going to have to do some work! Then Mum and Di arrive into Ouagadougou next Friday so it'll be time for more exploration and fun!
Hope you're all doing really well - I love hearing about life at home and how you're all doing. And the internet here seems to be able to cope with receiving e-mails containing photos so if you want to attach any that would be FANTASTIC!
Much love, Sam xxx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great fun. I think thats 0.125 Litre (125 cc) engine possibly if you are able to lift it. Should still go pretty well.
Love
Uncle Jim
Post a Comment