Tuesday, 16 December 2008

Merry Christmas!

Hey everyone,

Long time no see/speak... sorry. Anyhu - Merry Christmas! I hope that you're all well and feeling particularly festive - it has to be said it is very strange to be preparing for Christmas in the heat... although to be fair it's a whole lot cooler than back in September/October. Also there's hardly a clue to tell it's the season to be jolly - I think I've spotted a picture of a Christmas tree in one of the local shops but other than our little tree (thanks Mum!) and then 2 bits of tinsel (yes just the two) decorating the main hall for the 'carol concert' last night you'd have no idea.

Sorry about the lack of communication but as usual it's been mad, but really really good mad! My Mum and Di (my Aunt) came out to visit me at the end of November/beginning of December and it was absolutely great to see them, and the suitcase lined with new clothes (so clean!) vacuum packed pillows(!) and hobnobs was more than welcome! (Love hobnobs SOOOOOOOOO much...) Anyway, we had a really great time - their trip coincided with Ghana's (very peaceful) first round of the elections which meant I had a couple of extra days off work whilst the students traveled to their home towns to vote - perfect. I went up to Burkina Faso and collected them from the airport in Ouagadougou (think Wag-a-do-goo) and we spent a lovely couple of days exploring the city and going to really nice restaurants. We then headed down to Navrongo where they were given the 'Grand Tour of Boscos' and got to meet all of my friends, colleagues, students, goats... Everyone was desperate to meet them and they even had an audience with the Principle! (BTW - I've said that they should do a blog account of their experiences here so if you see them will you badger them for me!)

Next we moved onto Mole National Park which has ELEPHANTS and it was AMAZING! I have to say it was absolute bliss to be there. The hotel is built on the top on an escarpment and it looks down over a watering hole (maintained artificially) but it's beautiful - you sit at the bar and look across the swimming pool and then down to the water. Within an hour of arriving, 2 elephants graced us with their presence in the watering hole - like I said it was awesome.

I've missed out a few bits of the trip but hey I've got to leave something for Mum and Di to tell you. Ooh, Mum took loads of pictures too so there might be some more of them appearing soon as well!

Right, gotta run - more traveling plans. After a flight cancellation and a bit of rearrangement it looks like I'm heading down to Accra tomorrow so I need to go and pack! The new plan is to spend a few days there before heading back up to Navrongo through the Volta region - mountains and waterfalls. Then it's down to the coast for New Year with the gang. Not exactly sure where we'll be for Christmas - will fill you in at some point (probably after it's happened!) but I hope you all have an absolutely gorgeous holiday - big hugs to everyone!

Lots of love, Sam xxx

No comments: