Monday, 11 May 2009

Yagoua



This is the town where Grahame lives and I really enjoyed seeing it and meeting everyone, it was here that I really had to try and recall some of the French which usually resides in the outer reaches of my brain. And actually I surprised myself – in the first few days I understood very little and would invariably try and respond in Spanish when I did actually try. However, by the end I could understand quite a lot of what was going on and I was actually replying in French and even saying a little more than: ‘Bonjour, ca va?’

We spent most of our time chilling as it was ridiculously hot pretty much all of the time… but I also went to work with Grahame and got to see the schools and people he works with which was really cool. Nice to put faces to names so to speak. I also braved the market by myself on a few occasions when he was at work and actually survived and managed to buy the stuff I needed and speak some (well understand some) French into the bargain. 3 words to describe the place: sandy, friendly and hot! (But then again I think May anywhere in West Africa is just ridiculously hot)

No comments: