Friday, 23 October 2009

Good morning/good afternoon/good evening

So a small morsel for today: Good morning/good afternoon/good evening

So I got chastised for my greeting today when I went to say ‘hello’ to one of my neighbours! It was 4:35pm and I had very politely said ‘Good afternoon’ to which I was promptly corrected (in a nice way of course) that it was no longer afternoon and that after 4pm was classed as evening in Ghana. This little incident led to a few conversations with various people both Ghanaian and not and this is how it works apparently!

- From whenever you get up – 11am = Good morning
- 11am - 4pm = Good afternoon
- 4pm until you go to bed = Good evening

We’re thinking it might be because the day starts earlier in general the greetings change a little earlier than they would do at home. But anyway, greetings from Ghana – good morning, good afternoon or good evening – whatever fits!

Sam x

1 comment:

Mike said...

The time-keeping for choosing the correct greeting seems to be spot-on, doesn't it?