Yes! I do have a fridge and a freezer as well in fact. OK, so I had every intention of taking my camera to the staffroom and taking photos of the Ghanaian meals which I eat every lunchtime, but thus far I’ve forgotten to take it everyday… However, I will remember and will at some point post them on here and tell you all about them – get ready for the rice!
So, anyway – being the snap happy person that I’ve become lately (shock horror!) I ended up taking a picture of the contents of my fridge and it’s actually quite representative of what I eat outside of the staffroom.
- LOTS of water – I have a filter so I filter the water from the tap/borehole (depending if the water is running) and then put it into bottles ready for drinking. You’ll also see that there are bags of water, they have been either filtered or treated with chemicals and you can buy them everywhere and anywhere which is useful when it’s as hot as it is here!
- VEGETABLES – Lots to be found in Navrongo as it’s a fruit and vegetable market town (according to the guidebook) and often sellers come right up to the gate and knock on the door – talk about convenience food!
- LOTS of sauces (bought from Accra) - I basically end up eating a mixture of vegetables I just mentioned with either pasta or rice and a varying array of sauces to stop me from getting bored.
- JAM, marmalade, margarine (horrid stuff) and ground nut paste (like peanut butter, but local stuff so it’s in the plastic pot – if all else fails, I have a toaster (which a lot of people are quite envious of out here!) so that can come to the rescue. Although it’s madness, it’s says ‘99p’ on the label of the jam and then in the shops here it actually costs double the price as it’s imported!
- SHEPHERD’S PIE – yes, that’s what it is in the cooking tray! A very kind friend (JEN!) sent me out a whole package of mixes to make stuff so I’m working my way through them. Now, they don’t taste exactly the same as they would at home, but it’s pretty good and this year potatoes seem to be much easier to get hold of than last year. I also make a mean lasagna, you just need to go to Accra to get the sheet of pasta and the cheese sauce…
- EGG – I don’t end up buying that much meat out here because it doesn’t come nicely packaged like it does at Sainsburies back home and I can’t quite cope with preparing it, so eggs are a good source of protein. (Gosh I sound like a teacher!)
- ORANGES – cheap and cheerful fruit, but the pineapples and mangoes out here are to die for. Mangoes aren’t in season until maybe May, but when they are they are GORGEOUS!
So, there you go – the contents of my fridge, I’m certainly not starving by any stretch of the imagination!
No comments:
Post a Comment