Wednesday, 9 December 2009

Yam chips and jolloff rice



OK, so Ghanaian food – I’ve not mentioned that yet at all, so time to tell you about a few dishes that we eat quite a lot. I think I said in a previous blog that the College provide lunch in the staffroom during the week, so generally I eat Ghanaian food during for lunch and western food for dinner.

Right, dish one – jolloff rice which could be served with an egg or some type of meat, now depending on who cooks it it tastes a little different – it is basically rice in a tomato sauce, but some people make it very spicy whilst others make it with more of a fishy taste. Personally I’m a big fan of the spicy stuff and, oh this’ll make you laugh – it comes with a spicy sauce which is called… (wait for it…) shito! Oh how childish am I?

Then dish two, which I go and buy from the lady who sells it by the students’ halls if I’m late for lunch and the food’s all gone or if it’s banku or kenkay which I can’t quite stomach yet (photos to follow of these in another blog). So, dish two is yam chips – which are like big chips, vaguely similar to potatoes but drier I think. Anyway the lady fries them under a tree and then gives you a spicy sauce to go with them, I then take them home and add ketchup and mayonnaise and they’re yum. She also fries sweet potato and that’s really good too – I think we’re her best customers!

Lots more meals to tell you about but I’ve not got photos yet, so I’m sure you’ll be waiting with baited breath – not. Hope you’re all well.

Sam x

No comments: